Skip to main content

Ijebu-Ode residents lament spate of robbery, as journalist recounts ordeal

Ijebu-Ode residents lament spate of robbery, as journalist recounts ordeal

A journalist in Ogun State, Mr Dayo Rufai, has recounted how some armed robbers invaded his Ijebu-Ode residence and carted away ‘virtually everything’ he had.

Rufai, the Publisher of Gateway Times newspaper, is a native of Ijebu-Ode, where he resides with his immediate family.

According to him, the armed robbers stormed his house at exactly 1am on Monday with an intent to dispossess him of his belongings.

The Publisher said the armed robbers ‘ambushed’ his guard and ‘macheted’ him severally.

He added that they eventually succeeded in gaining entrance into his main building, ‘beating the hell out of him and his wife’.

A day before the robbery incident, Rufai said he had, through the social media, expressed concerns about the problem of insecurity in Ijebu-Ode by saying, “Can we please have peace in Ijebu Ode. These endless killings (dey) too much. Peace please.”

He expressed shock on how he turned out to be the next victim of the insecurity he complained, calling on security agents to double their efforts in making Ijebu-Ode a secure place for residents.

His words: “Few hours after I raised my voice about the serious security concern in Ijebu-Ode, men of the underworld, at exactly 1:05am on Monday, September 9, stormed my residence in Ijebu, ambushed my security man and matched him severally.

“They thereafter succeeded in gaining entrance into the main building and beat the hell out of me and my wife.

“They ‘swept’ the house and left my immediate family in a mental torture replica of ‘Rwanda massacre’.

“Yes, we lost virtually everything, but we are consoled in the fact that no life was lost.”

Rufai appreciated those who had sympathised with his family, saying, “Many thanks to those who visited and made calls to identify with us. God bless you all. We shall bounce back In Shaa Allah.”

Rufai told our correspondent that the case was reported at the police area command in Igbeba, Ijebu-Ode. He, however, said no arrest has been made.

He added that the security man, who was macheted was still recuperating in a hospital in the town.

Meanwhile, residents of Ijebu-Ode have been lamenting the spate of robbery, cultism and other social vices affecting the peace of the ancient town.

Our correspondent learnt that thieves are now in all the nooks and crannies of Ijebu-Ode, carting away anything available.

According to residents, worship centres are now being robbed day by day.

An indigene, Adetilewa Adetomiwa said, “the kind of robbery going on in Ijebu is funny and sad. Last week, some robbers came to my place to steal electrical installations and cement, even half bag of cement. The thieves were even fighting overused shoe. They said Church is their target now in Ijebu. The epicentre of robbery. So thief (no dey) fear God again?

“Gov Dapo Abiodun, can you please wake up and do your job as the chief security officer of the State?”

“My house is in GRA, Ijebu-Ode, close to the stadium. Those ‘boys’ have ‘helped themselves to remove all my electronics. I’m waiting for them to come and carry chairs and mattress.” One Mr Kyke Davies recounted his ordeal.

On August 2, indigenes of Ijebu came together for a security summit to find lasting solutions to issues of insecurity in the area.

Dove Bulletin also reported on August 21 that there was tension in Ijebu-Ode area as members of Eiye and Aiye confraternities were reportedly taking turns to retaliate the killings of their members.

Residents of Ijebu-Ode were said to be running helter-skelter as the cultists continued to terrorise the ancient city.

Efforts to reach the Ogun State Police Spokesperson, Abimbola Oyeyemi, for comments were unsuccessful as he did not reply the text message sent to him, hours before filing this report.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

De Gea hailed by Henderson but warns him for No. 1 spot battle

Dean Henderson has cautioned David de Gea he is aiming for his Manchester United place. The 23-year-old goalkeeper will retreat to Old Trafford after an exceptional loan spell at Sheffield United, determined to take the 1st spot off the Spaniard.

Academy alumnus Henderson recently signed a new six-year contract last month among connections to Chelsea. Thus, making it obvious he sees himself at Old Trafford for the long term.

“I’ll be moving back in the first day of pre-season and sweating my b******s off to get in that starting line-up because it’s something I’ve constantly required and I’m so close now. I have tremendous respect for David. He has been a magnificent goalkeeper for many years.

He’s been remarkable and that’s something I strive to be, to have a profession like his at the club. It’s down to me but I’m beneath no fantasies that I’m going to develop just sat on the bench. I need that game-time.” said Henderson.

Unfortunately, De Gea’s form has come into inquest over the last …

Mourinho looking to steal Man United transfer with phone call

Jose Mourinho has made some good progress with Tottenham Hotspur. The club was struggling when Mauricio Pochetino left mid-season. Jose has his ways of doing things and many times his way might not be ideal.

But as Jose has always said, the most important thing is to get in the result. And since Mourinho has joined only Manchester City, Liverpool, and Manchester United, have earned more points than Tottenham.

Tottenham was at the 14th spot in the Premier League. Jose took them to sixth place and got them back in Europe. However, the expectations will be even higher for the next season. Spurs will want to push into the top four and compete for a Champions League place.

However to accomplish that goal Jose will need to add some players. Tottenham have already completed 3 signings. The club signed Joe Hart from Burnley on a free transfer.

Matt Doherty came in from Wolverhampton for £15 million and Pierre-Emile Hoijberg came in from Southampton for the same amount. But Jose Mourinho wants mo…

BBNaija 2020: What Toke Makinwa, Nigerian celebrities said about Erica’s disqualification

Some Nigerian celebrities have reacted to the disqualification of Big Brother Naija, BBNaija housemate, Erica, from the Lockdown house.

Erica on Sunday was found guilty of flouting the house rules and bullying housemate.

Erica caused drama in the house on Saturday night after the party when she made some derogatory comments and threatened to kill Laycon.

This caused her a third strike and eviction.

The likes of Toke Makinwa, Ay Makun and other celebrities have taken to their social media pages to vent out their reactions to Biggie’s decision.

Here are some of the comments gathered by Dove Bulletin:

@TokeMakinwa “Sad that the game ended tonight for Erica but I’m confident she’ll do well. Sucksssssssssssss.”

@AY Makun “ In life, you learn lessons. And sometimes you learn them the hard way. Sometimes you learn them too late. It is well with Erica moving forward in life. Show her love and help her become a better person outside of the house.”

@Sir Uti Uwachukwu “ Erica leaving the #Bbnaija house…