Skip to main content

COVID-19: NCDC to increase test capacity to 1500 per day

Senegal reports 13 new cases of COVID-19
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) is set to increase its capacity to test for the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) to 1500 per day in the country, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, Director General of NCDC, gave the reassurance at the Presidential Taskforce Briefing on COVID-19 on Tuesday in Abuja.

Ihekweazu said that the focus of NCDC efforts was to improve the number of people that could be tested.

“Last week, we had the capacity to test 500 per day, by the end of this week we will be at 1000 a day.

“By next week we are hoping to get to 1500 a day, “ he said.

Ihekweazu, however, said that Nigerians need to reduce the demand side of the testing to those who really needed it.

He noted that the more the people force themselves into being tested, the less NCDC would have the capacity to test those who really need the testing.

Ihekweazu said that these people that really need the testing would be transmitting it into the community and more people would get infected.

According to him, by testing those that do not need it, people are blocking the system and there’s a price to pay.

In a related development, the Minister for Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Umar Farouq, said that the ministry was unrelenting in its schoolchildren feeding.

She said, rather, the ministry would liaise with the state governments to work out the modalities to know how to go about the programme, despite the stay-at-home directive.

Farouq also disclosed that the ministry has about 2.6 million poor and vulnerable households on its social register.

She said that, so far, the ministry had reached out to about 1 million indigent people.



(NAN)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

De Gea hailed by Henderson but warns him for No. 1 spot battle

Dean Henderson has cautioned David de Gea he is aiming for his Manchester United place. The 23-year-old goalkeeper will retreat to Old Trafford after an exceptional loan spell at Sheffield United, determined to take the 1st spot off the Spaniard.

Academy alumnus Henderson recently signed a new six-year contract last month among connections to Chelsea. Thus, making it obvious he sees himself at Old Trafford for the long term.

“I’ll be moving back in the first day of pre-season and sweating my b******s off to get in that starting line-up because it’s something I’ve constantly required and I’m so close now. I have tremendous respect for David. He has been a magnificent goalkeeper for many years.

He’s been remarkable and that’s something I strive to be, to have a profession like his at the club. It’s down to me but I’m beneath no fantasies that I’m going to develop just sat on the bench. I need that game-time.” said Henderson.

Unfortunately, De Gea’s form has come into inquest over the last …

Mourinho looking to steal Man United transfer with phone call

Jose Mourinho has made some good progress with Tottenham Hotspur. The club was struggling when Mauricio Pochetino left mid-season. Jose has his ways of doing things and many times his way might not be ideal.

But as Jose has always said, the most important thing is to get in the result. And since Mourinho has joined only Manchester City, Liverpool, and Manchester United, have earned more points than Tottenham.

Tottenham was at the 14th spot in the Premier League. Jose took them to sixth place and got them back in Europe. However, the expectations will be even higher for the next season. Spurs will want to push into the top four and compete for a Champions League place.

However to accomplish that goal Jose will need to add some players. Tottenham have already completed 3 signings. The club signed Joe Hart from Burnley on a free transfer.

Matt Doherty came in from Wolverhampton for £15 million and Pierre-Emile Hoijberg came in from Southampton for the same amount. But Jose Mourinho wants mo…

BBNaija 2020: What Toke Makinwa, Nigerian celebrities said about Erica’s disqualification

Some Nigerian celebrities have reacted to the disqualification of Big Brother Naija, BBNaija housemate, Erica, from the Lockdown house.

Erica on Sunday was found guilty of flouting the house rules and bullying housemate.

Erica caused drama in the house on Saturday night after the party when she made some derogatory comments and threatened to kill Laycon.

This caused her a third strike and eviction.

The likes of Toke Makinwa, Ay Makun and other celebrities have taken to their social media pages to vent out their reactions to Biggie’s decision.

Here are some of the comments gathered by Dove Bulletin:

@TokeMakinwa “Sad that the game ended tonight for Erica but I’m confident she’ll do well. Sucksssssssssssss.”

@AY Makun “ In life, you learn lessons. And sometimes you learn them the hard way. Sometimes you learn them too late. It is well with Erica moving forward in life. Show her love and help her become a better person outside of the house.”

@Sir Uti Uwachukwu “ Erica leaving the #Bbnaija house…