Skip to main content

Lawan urges FG to review, reverse privatisation of power sector

Lawan urges FG to review, reverse privatisation of power sector

Senate President Ahmad Lawan on Tuesday called on the Federal Government to review or reverse the privatisation of the nation’s power sector.

Lawan made the call while contributing to a motion on the “Power Sector Recovery Plan and the Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic” sponsored by Senator Gabriel Suswam (Benue North East).

Lawan said: “We gave them our common patrimony and they still come back as DisCos and GenCos to look for money from the public.

“The time has come to review and probably reverse this privatisation if we leave them for the next 10 years there would be no power in Nigeria.

“Like I said before this motion was taken, the privatisation has so far not been successful.

“We expected efficiency, effectiveness in power supplies but probably on both sides, maybe the purchase agreements were not adhered to on both sides.

“What is obvious is that the DisCos particularly have no capacity at the moment to supply us power.

“The GenCos have challenges too. It is not good that we give them money we sold – these are businesses.

“If there are areas we must intervene as a government must be seriously justified.

“The way it is I think there is need to review this privatisation to see what has happened. Something is certainly not right.

“In the event that this thing does not work properly, there will be a need for the government to look into it.”

Meanwhile the Senate after its debate on the motion resolved to “Commend the Federal Government for the proactive initiative to establish the N1.7 trillion COVID-19 Crisis Intervention Fund to cater for issues that are critical to the effective management of the Pandemic and to stimulate a gradual return to normal socio-economic activities in the country.

“Urge the Federal Government through the Federal Ministry of Finance to include the Nigerian Electric Power Sector in the disbursement of the proposed N500 billion COVID-19 Crisis Intervention Fund.

“This was in order to ameliorate the financial hazards and operational challenges such as the enumeration of metering of actual consumers and the recent problem arising from the pandemic.

“Urge the Federal Government to suspend the planned tariff increase which is scheduled to take effect from 1st of July, 2020 bearing in mind the increased hardship resulting from the COVID-19 Pandemic.

“Mandate the Senate Committee on Power to investigate all Federal Government interventions in the power sector since the privatization of the sector to date with a view to ascertaining the adequacy of such interventions and other desired impact, and to report back within four weeks.

“Mandate the Senate Committee on Power to investigate all market participants in the power value chain and ascertain the level of corporate governance compliance in the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry (NESI) and to report back within four weeks.

“Urge the Central Bank of Nigeria to allow operators in the power sector access to foreign exchange for procurement and materials like what is done in the aviation and oil industry.

“Urge the Federal Government to consider additional tariff support to cushion the effect of rate shock over a fixed period to allow the time required for TCN and DisCos to access funds and implement performance improvements investments that will support increased tariffs to certain classes of customers especially during the pandemic.”

Senator Suswam in his lead debate said that the Senate is aware that at the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic, “the Federal Government through the Federal Ministry of Finance intimated the leadership of the National Assembly of plans to establish a N1.7 trillion COVID-19 crisis intervention fund to be utilized to upgrade healthcare facilities across the country, stimulate agriculture, solid materials, power sector and also execute social intervention programmes that will benefit the masses.”

He noted that while the appropriate executive bill that will articulate the actual use of the fund is yet to be presented to the Senate for consideration, “the devastating impact of the pandemic on the power sector has necessitated the need for the Senate to draw the attention of the Federal Government to the need to include the sector in the disbursement of the proposed fund.”

He said that this is in view of “the vital role of stable electricity supply to current efforts towards jumpstarting the economy which is still groaning under the impact of the pandemic.”

Suswam added: “The stable and uninterrupted power supply is also a critical factor in the management of COVID-19 patients as well as in the implementation of the proposed upgrade of healthcare facilities across the country after the pandemic.

“Aware that prior to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry (NESI) was already facing teething operational constraints including the absence of cost-reflective tariffs, inadequate enumeration and metering of consumers, limited access to funds for investment, poor revenue generation and high levels of aggregate technical, commercial and collection (ATC&C) losses.

“Generation Companies (GenCos) were owed 72 per cent of their revenue in 2019 while the Distribution Electricity Companies (DisCos) reported average ATC&C losses of about 41 per cent in the same year.

“All these constraints prevented the NESI from performing optimally across the power value chain.

“Alarmed that the COVID-19 pandemic has further impacted negatively on NESI as the DisCos reported a 50% loss of their average monthly revenue collection for the months of March and April 2020 respectively even as the Federal Government continues to harp on the need for stable electricity supply.”

Lawmakers in their contributions supported the motion.

Senator Francis Fadahunsi in his contribution lamented that even though the Federal Government spent huge sums of money between 2006 till date, it has only been able to generate 6000 megawatts of power.

On his part, Senator Abubakar Kyari said: “I am not comfortable with the term cost effective tariff when no one has been able to say how much is spent in producing a megawatt so as to determine how much to charge. Everything is based on assumptions and something must be done about it.”

“The data that is being used to make decisions in the sector are incorrect, Senator Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi said.

Senator Uche Ekwunife noted that “There is no difference between NEPA and DisCos as power is hardly available in the rural areas.”

“I commend the initiative of the Federal Government for a stimulus package of N1.7 trillion in the COVID-19 intervention fund,” Senator Adamu Aliero said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two ways Manchester United could line up with Donny Van de Beek transfer

Manchester United have emerged as frontrunners in the race to sign Ajax midfielder Donny Van de Beek.

The Guardian report that United are hopeful of signing the Dutch star who has attracted interest from several other elite clubs.

Van de Beek, 23, starred in the Ajax team that reached the Champions League semi-finals in the 2018/19 season and is one of Europe’s most talented young midfielders.

We looked at two ways United could line-up next season if they complete the signing of the versatile Dutchman.

This system would allow Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to accommodate each of his most potent attacking threats.

While Van de Beek is most effective in a box-to-box role, he has experience shielding the back four and could provide the platform for Paul Pogba to roam in a double midfield pivot.

Van de Beek made six appearances in the defensive midfield role for Ajax in the 2019/20 season and has the ability to operate as Solskjaer’s anchorman ahead of Nemanja Matic.

However, Matic offers a more experi…

BBNaija 2020: I will find you a Bayelsa wife, someone like me – Nengi tells Ozo

Big Brother Naija housemate, Nengi, on Sunday said she will find Ozo a Bayelsa wife.

Nengi said this when Ozo said he wanted to take her on a trip after the reality show.

Ozo, however, said he was not interested in another Bayelsa wife.

“I will find you a wife when we leave this place. I will find you someone like me from Bayelsa,” Nengi told Ozo.

But Ozo responded, “if I wanted someone else, I would have chosen.”

Nengi further stated that, “When we leave the house there will be a lot of girls interested in you and you won’t have my time.”

Agreeing that it was a possibility, Ozo insisted he had found something special in her.

Nengi had warned Ozo against mistaking their friendship for a love relationship.

She had maintained that she would not date anyone in the house but Ozo is still trying and working hard to see if she could change her mind.

De Gea hailed by Henderson but warns him for No. 1 spot battle

Dean Henderson has cautioned David de Gea he is aiming for his Manchester United place. The 23-year-old goalkeeper will retreat to Old Trafford after an exceptional loan spell at Sheffield United, determined to take the 1st spot off the Spaniard.

Academy alumnus Henderson recently signed a new six-year contract last month among connections to Chelsea. Thus, making it obvious he sees himself at Old Trafford for the long term.

“I’ll be moving back in the first day of pre-season and sweating my b******s off to get in that starting line-up because it’s something I’ve constantly required and I’m so close now. I have tremendous respect for David. He has been a magnificent goalkeeper for many years.

He’s been remarkable and that’s something I strive to be, to have a profession like his at the club. It’s down to me but I’m beneath no fantasies that I’m going to develop just sat on the bench. I need that game-time.” said Henderson.

Unfortunately, De Gea’s form has come into inquest over the last …