Skip to main content

COVID-19: Schools to remain shut - FG

Pupils and students will stay longer at home because schools cannot reopen soon, the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 said on Thursday.

The government cited the need to protect the vulnerable and halt the spread of the virus in communities as reasons.

Besides, the government is worried about the rising cases of the virus pandemic in the country.

School children were sent home in March to prevent Coronavirus spread.

PTF chair Boss Mustapha said: “Nigeria witnessed a spike in number of confirmed cases when the number of recorded cases jumped to 663 on June 9. This number gives us cause for concern as a Task Force and as a nation.

“The PTF will re-emphasize its appeal to governments at the sub-national level as well as our security agencies to enforce the guidelines and protocols firmly.

“The PTF would also be meeting with the heads of these agencies to further fine-tune strategies to ensure compliance,” he added.

“We must ensure that our goal is to stay alive and remain COVID-19 free.”

Mustapha described school resumption as delicate since Nigeria had entered the phase of community spread of the virus.

He said Nigeria should pursue a strategy that will aid the sustainable control of the spread of the disease, adding that communications and community engagement should remain top priority, while precision approach to containment and management should be adopted.

He said the PTF had put in place measures to fight against COVID-19, including the application of science and data to guide the targeting of areas of on-going high transmission, mobilisation of all resources at State and Local Government levels to create public awareness on COVID 19 and improve compliance with non-pharmaceutical interventions within communities and sustenance of key non-pharmaceutical interventions that would apply nationwide and include among others.

Mustapha spoke during the daily briefing by the PTF in Abuja.

Also on Thursday, PTF Coordinator Dr. Sani Aliyu, said Nigerians had not reached the peack of infections. He described the fight against the virus pandemic as long-drawn.

Dr Aliyu added that the decision to restrict gathering in churches and mosques was because most of those who got to places of worship are those within the vulnerable group of Nigerians who may have underlying illnesses.

He said the PTF was working closely with the Ministry of Education to work out a resumption plan for schools since majority of students may be living with the vulnerable group of Nigerians.

He said the plan may be to allow those who are supposed to write examination to do so, saying “we don’t want what has happened to affect the next academic session”.

He said 20 per cent of Nigerian have underlying ailment, adding that the government had a responsibility to protect them against infection, hence the suggestion by government for people to stay at home.

He said the global epicenter of the pandemic had shifted from China to Europe, then to the United States and is now showing significant impact in South and Central America.

He said the shift to South America with virtually similar climatic and demographic similarities with Africa, is a cause for concern considering the earlier projections pointed to Africa as likely to be the worst-hit continent.

Mustapha said over 800 frontline health workers involved in the COVID-19 fight had been infested by the virus.

He said: “It is the consideration of the PTF that while Nigeria’s confirmed cases have increased in the period under review, majority of the confirmed cases have been found to be in a handful of local governments in the country, adding that 20 out of the 774 LGAs nationwide account for 60% of the cases with Lagos accounting for 11.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two ways Manchester United could line up with Donny Van de Beek transfer

Manchester United have emerged as frontrunners in the race to sign Ajax midfielder Donny Van de Beek.

The Guardian report that United are hopeful of signing the Dutch star who has attracted interest from several other elite clubs.

Van de Beek, 23, starred in the Ajax team that reached the Champions League semi-finals in the 2018/19 season and is one of Europe’s most talented young midfielders.

We looked at two ways United could line-up next season if they complete the signing of the versatile Dutchman.

This system would allow Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to accommodate each of his most potent attacking threats.

While Van de Beek is most effective in a box-to-box role, he has experience shielding the back four and could provide the platform for Paul Pogba to roam in a double midfield pivot.

Van de Beek made six appearances in the defensive midfield role for Ajax in the 2019/20 season and has the ability to operate as Solskjaer’s anchorman ahead of Nemanja Matic.

However, Matic offers a more experi…

BBNaija 2020: I will find you a Bayelsa wife, someone like me – Nengi tells Ozo

Big Brother Naija housemate, Nengi, on Sunday said she will find Ozo a Bayelsa wife.

Nengi said this when Ozo said he wanted to take her on a trip after the reality show.

Ozo, however, said he was not interested in another Bayelsa wife.

“I will find you a wife when we leave this place. I will find you someone like me from Bayelsa,” Nengi told Ozo.

But Ozo responded, “if I wanted someone else, I would have chosen.”

Nengi further stated that, “When we leave the house there will be a lot of girls interested in you and you won’t have my time.”

Agreeing that it was a possibility, Ozo insisted he had found something special in her.

Nengi had warned Ozo against mistaking their friendship for a love relationship.

She had maintained that she would not date anyone in the house but Ozo is still trying and working hard to see if she could change her mind.

De Gea hailed by Henderson but warns him for No. 1 spot battle

Dean Henderson has cautioned David de Gea he is aiming for his Manchester United place. The 23-year-old goalkeeper will retreat to Old Trafford after an exceptional loan spell at Sheffield United, determined to take the 1st spot off the Spaniard.

Academy alumnus Henderson recently signed a new six-year contract last month among connections to Chelsea. Thus, making it obvious he sees himself at Old Trafford for the long term.

“I’ll be moving back in the first day of pre-season and sweating my b******s off to get in that starting line-up because it’s something I’ve constantly required and I’m so close now. I have tremendous respect for David. He has been a magnificent goalkeeper for many years.

He’s been remarkable and that’s something I strive to be, to have a profession like his at the club. It’s down to me but I’m beneath no fantasies that I’m going to develop just sat on the bench. I need that game-time.” said Henderson.

Unfortunately, De Gea’s form has come into inquest over the last …