Skip to main content

UK don’t need another coronavirus lockdown - Boris Johnson


The UK won’t be in a position to need another national lockdown, according to Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Johnson likened a nationwide shutdown to a “nuclear deterrent,” telling the Sunday Telegraph that he doesn’t want to use it. “And nor do I think we will be in that position again,” he added.

Johnson’s comments came after the announcement of plans for local authorities to have new powers to implement local lockdowns to respond to increases in coronavirus cases.

Despite worldwide criticism of the U.K.’s response to the pandemic, Johnson defended the government, insisting that “lots of things … went very, very well.”

He pointed to the quickly-built Nightingale hospitals across the country, the U.K. trial that led to dexamethasone becoming a possible treatment for coronavirus and the country’s extensive furlough scheme.

In the wide-ranging interview, Johnson also spoke of his plans to shake up the university education system.

Specifically, he said that the pricing of university courses would be reviewed.

“In reality, it would have been much more sensible if courses had been differently priced. We are certainly looking at all that.”

An increased focus on technical education would also support the U.K.’s production of new technology, argued Johnson, in a reference to the U.K. banning the Chinese firm Huawei’s 5G gear.

“Let’s start doing some of this stuff ourselves, working with … like-minded countries, and getting the stuff installed.

The potential is enormous, whether it’s 5G or full-fibre or gigabit or superfast broadband, the U.K. can really excel in all those,” he said.

(Newsnow.co.uk)

Boris Johnson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

De Gea hailed by Henderson but warns him for No. 1 spot battle

Dean Henderson has cautioned David de Gea he is aiming for his Manchester United place. The 23-year-old goalkeeper will retreat to Old Trafford after an exceptional loan spell at Sheffield United, determined to take the 1st spot off the Spaniard.

Academy alumnus Henderson recently signed a new six-year contract last month among connections to Chelsea. Thus, making it obvious he sees himself at Old Trafford for the long term.

“I’ll be moving back in the first day of pre-season and sweating my b******s off to get in that starting line-up because it’s something I’ve constantly required and I’m so close now. I have tremendous respect for David. He has been a magnificent goalkeeper for many years.

He’s been remarkable and that’s something I strive to be, to have a profession like his at the club. It’s down to me but I’m beneath no fantasies that I’m going to develop just sat on the bench. I need that game-time.” said Henderson.

Unfortunately, De Gea’s form has come into inquest over the last …

Mourinho looking to steal Man United transfer with phone call

Jose Mourinho has made some good progress with Tottenham Hotspur. The club was struggling when Mauricio Pochetino left mid-season. Jose has his ways of doing things and many times his way might not be ideal.

But as Jose has always said, the most important thing is to get in the result. And since Mourinho has joined only Manchester City, Liverpool, and Manchester United, have earned more points than Tottenham.

Tottenham was at the 14th spot in the Premier League. Jose took them to sixth place and got them back in Europe. However, the expectations will be even higher for the next season. Spurs will want to push into the top four and compete for a Champions League place.

However to accomplish that goal Jose will need to add some players. Tottenham have already completed 3 signings. The club signed Joe Hart from Burnley on a free transfer.

Matt Doherty came in from Wolverhampton for £15 million and Pierre-Emile Hoijberg came in from Southampton for the same amount. But Jose Mourinho wants mo…

BBNaija 2020: What Toke Makinwa, Nigerian celebrities said about Erica’s disqualification

Some Nigerian celebrities have reacted to the disqualification of Big Brother Naija, BBNaija housemate, Erica, from the Lockdown house.

Erica on Sunday was found guilty of flouting the house rules and bullying housemate.

Erica caused drama in the house on Saturday night after the party when she made some derogatory comments and threatened to kill Laycon.

This caused her a third strike and eviction.

The likes of Toke Makinwa, Ay Makun and other celebrities have taken to their social media pages to vent out their reactions to Biggie’s decision.

Here are some of the comments gathered by Dove Bulletin:

@TokeMakinwa “Sad that the game ended tonight for Erica but I’m confident she’ll do well. Sucksssssssssssss.”

@AY Makun “ In life, you learn lessons. And sometimes you learn them the hard way. Sometimes you learn them too late. It is well with Erica moving forward in life. Show her love and help her become a better person outside of the house.”

@Sir Uti Uwachukwu “ Erica leaving the #Bbnaija house…