20-year-old fashion designer dies after brutal attack by police over alleged N50 bribe - Dove Bulletin - Online News Bulletin

Most Recent Posts

20-year-old fashion designer dies after brutal attack by police over alleged N50 bribe

A 20-year-old, fashion designer, Ayomide Taiwo, who was allegedly brutalised with the butt of the gun by a police officer over N50 bribe, has reportedly died.

The deceased, after six days in coma, gave up the ghost 08:30 am on Sunday at the Ladoke Akintola Teaching Hospital (LAUTECH), Osogbo, where he was receiving treatment.

Ayomide has been battling for his life following a brutal gun attack on him by an alleged police officer, identified as Inspr Ago Egharevba attached to Ibokun Divisional Police Headquarters.

Dove Bulletin gathered that on Tuesday, Ayomide was attacked alongside his brother, Wasiu Taiwo at Ibokun who sustained an open injury on his hand.

Ayomide was rushed down to Osogbo with private car owned by one of the police officers at the checkpoint in the course to save his life.

The deceased was on life support machines since Tuesday.

Ayomide was allegedly attacked by Police Officer, Inspector Ago Egharevba at Ibokun checkpoint who was said to be drunk.

It was also said that the Inspector Ago has been offered a N50 bribe.

One of the deceased’s brothers, Wasiu Taiwo, who was on the same motorcycle with the late Ayomide told Dove Bulletin that, after giving N50 bribe, the said police officer wanted to collect the N50,000 with the late Ayomide.

In his account, “While we were coming from home, at Iragbiji after Sallah, we met four police officers on our way, one of the police officers was drinking alcohol. He stopped us and requested money. When my brother brought out money to give him he saw a huge amount of money in his pocket, the money was N50,000 meant for our mother.

“He asked him to bring the money out, my brother refused and he started hitting him with the butt of his gun out of anger.

“We fell and I sustain arm injury. Before I stood up to rescue my brother, I discovered that the police officer was on the verge of running away before he was stopped by passersby and my other brothers who were coming behind us.

“Ayomide was at the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital. “He was unconscious until his death. His mobile phone and the sum of N50,000 in his pocket were stolen.”

The DPO at Ibokun Divisional Police Headquarters was said to the deposited sum of N30,000 naira for the treatment of the Ayomide.

Sources told Dove Bulletin that two police officers from the Ibokun division were sent to the hospital to support the family of the deceased.

A Police officer was sited with the family of the deceased at the Union Diagnosis Centre while conducting X-ray for Ayomide when was alive.

According to an eyewitness, Adebayo Popoola, a brother to the deceased told our correspondent that he and other passersby arrested the police officer while trying to flee the scene.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Yemisi Opalola, said Inspr Ago Egharevba attached to Ibokun Divisional Headquarters discretionally pulled down Ayomide while trying to ride past their checkpoint without stopping for security checks on Tuesday.

“Consequently, Ayomide motorcycle fell and sustained serious injuries. The said Police officer to be charged to court soonest after completion of disciplinary action.”

Meanwhile, she told Dove Bulletin that the Commissioner for Police in Osun, Undie Adie, has recommended dismissal of the Inspector Ago and will be charged to court after investigation.
20-year-old fashion designer dies after brutal attack by police over alleged N50 bribe
What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments section.

No comments